Thursday, October 9, 2008

Extravagance

There is something the Lord is doing with us. Daniel put it best last night. He said "I think God wants us to know His extravagant nature before we get to know His practical nature". 

Over the last 6 months especially, but even before then we have noticed this extravagance of God in our lives. It is marked by gifts being lavished on us that we never even asked for. 

Really this began when we moved here. It's like the Lord said "this time will be hard, but I will mark it with sweetness you did not expect." He has given us things we didn't even have the thought or courage to pray for.

It began with being given a car when we were first married. We needed one, but we thought we'd have to take out a loan etc. A very generous family in the church gave us their old volvo and it was a great car for about 4 years. 

Then we were given a beautiful bedroom set by a man in our church who makes furniture as a hobby. He said "give me a picture of what you want and I will make it." So I gave him a picture out of my favorite store Restoration Hardware and he made us a breath taking bed and dresser..... free. 

Then there were many things thru the years with having our boys, years and years of beautiful hand me downs that were perfect fit, perfect timing. My parents gave us our crib that was beautiful and then they gave me dishes that match and I love. The woman in our church that owns the house we live in lets us rent it from her for less than half of what people pay for rent around here.

About 6 months ago my in laws gave us their Mac laptop. Something that has blessed me more than I can say. It has kept me connected when I felt disconnected to the world.... A huge blessing.

Then a few months ago they started coming faster. I needed help with homeschooling, another voice for my kids to hear than just me. We got it in Ethan's teacher helping with extra tutoring for free. Something I didn't even pray about, but desperately needed. 

Then we had a man in our church offer to give Ethan drum lessons for free. With those you are never sure what you will get, but Tony is an amazing man who is infinitely patient and seems to know what Ethan really needs to stay interested and engaged. Again, something I never prayed for, but we needed. 

Then a few months ago Ethan started asking about swim lessons. I had put him off because the YMCA's lessons are so expensive. They are private, but they are very spendy. I was looking into other options when school started. The boys teacher mentioned they were offering to pay for swim lessons for the students. I got the boys in and it turns out they are private lessons (the boys and one of their friends) for 45 min. each, 2 times a week for 2 months!!!! Once again, something I didn't pray for, the Lord just knew.

Yesterday, however, was the cream on top!!!!!! Last night we had had a tough day (see the last post) and we decided we just needed to worship and unload. So we were down in the garage with Ethan on the drums and Daniel on the guitar and me on the mic. and shaker :o) and Micah on the VeggieTales (he never stops) and we were worshipping when Neal, my father in law comes in and asks if we had expected a couple from our church to come over. We said "no" and he said, "well they are here to see you". So I let Daniel go out to talk to them. They called me out and when I went out they presented me with flowers and a key to my very own convertible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had mentioned to them a few weeks before that I enjoyed seeing them in their convertible because I have always loved convertibles and they seemed so carefree and young when they drove theirs. They took it to heart.  It is a beautiful chrysler convertible and it's mine! I was speechless and overwhelmed. They just said they wanted to do it because they knew I liked convertibles and wanted to bless me. 

I have always loved convertibles and Daniel and I joke about getting one when we retire and cruise around with our silver hair...... Never in a million years did I expect this. The boys were like little ping pong balls. They were excited because there were two pillows in the back.

Daniel and I have needed a second car, but this is not what we were expecting to get. I told Daniel, it's so funny because we need so many other things that are so much more practical, but God doesn't seem to be worried about those things. He knew that giving me something I didn't even have on my radar would speak more to me than a practical check in the mail kind of blessing.

Ethan said it best this morning. He looked up at me and he had this delighted look on his face and he said "Mommy! If God can give you a convertible you didn't even ask for then He can definitely answer our tumor prayer and our baby prayer!"

Exactly the point.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredible!!! JUST INCREDIBLE!!! :)
:) :) :)