Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sobered

I don't really get into politics much, mostly because I don't know much. However all morning I have had a sick feeling in my stomach. I'm so sobered by the issues at hand. By far the biggest issue being abortion. I feel like we have gotten so overwhelmed with our lives lately that we haven't thought about praying much into these elections until this last week when Daniel went down to the 'the Call' in San Diego. We are so heavy with the world our children are growing up in.

As I woke up early and felt so heavy about this election the Lord reminded me that there are more that are with Him than are with the enemy. That just because we have a president who has no regard for human life in the womb doesn't mean we don't pray anymore. In fact I will pray more for this president that any other president I think. I'm mostly praying for his salvation.

I was sickened as I had to try to explain to my 7 year old what abortion is. I cried as I looked into his puzzled face. All the unsaid questions and implications that were bombarding his mind. I had no answers. It's one of those moments when you realize your child has lost some of his innocence and I ached inside realizing that this was just the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak in terms of all the horrible things he would learn about our country, this presidency and mankind.

Today I find myself aching at how callous my own heart has gotten toward some of these issues. I think an election every 4 years is important to shake us from our religious stupor or the smallness of our own lives and problems..... these issues are our issues. I have an aquaintance who is one of those highly annoying kind that love to argue and antagonize just to hear their own voice.... he disagrees with me on just about every issue... attacks whenever he can and I have to fight the urge to feel personally offended. I realize however how offended the Lord must feel at the state of our nation and the selfish smallness we think with.

Today I am aching. I think it's good to ache if we pour it out in prayer. The Lord gave me Psalm 51 this morning.... I poured it out before the Lord for myself and our nation.

For those of you who aren't familiar with 'the call" and Lou Engle, I want to tell you about them. He is making it a personal goal to see abortion ended in our nation, along with other things, but that is his main agenda. He has come up with a one line prayer that I have been praying all morning. It goes like this:

"I plead the Blood of Jesus over my sins and the sins of my nation. End abortion, bring revival."

I think that is the best prayer I can think of right now.


No comments: